New media founded paper magazines not only for profit, but also for enriching brand positioning, achieving precise marketing, and enhancing user stickiness. This reflects the value of paper magazines' unique reading experience and sophisticated content integration. In the context of media integration, the innovation of paper publications should focus on more suitable reading in form, more selective information in content, and more adaptable requirements in the scene.
With the vigorous development of new media, the living space of traditional media is increasingly squeezed. Focusing on the theme of media integration, promoting the transformation of papers, integrating the publishing industry, and building a new media platform have become the top priorities and goals of the traditional publishing industry. Among them, the view that paper magazines are in the stock market and that there is room for incremental growth in new media has become widely recognized in the industry. The focus of research and practice has been around new media. , Such as reducing the number of prints, compressing the circulation, concentrating manpower and material resources on the construction of new media and even canceling the publication of papers abound. However, it is worth noting that the "reverse" trend of new media publishing papers has appeared internationally, and it is becoming more and more intensive. Why did the new media enter the print media at the time of print publication? Is the development of papers running out of water or is there a gloom? An analysis of the reasons behind this phenomenon will help to re-examine the development of traditional media from the perspective of new media, and get out of the narrow structure of discussing papers and papers, and then provide new research ideas and development concepts for papers and magazines.
Investigation on the Status Quo of a New Media Publishing Papers
The history of publishing papers by new media relying on Internet platforms dates back to at least 2012. At that time, the Fairchild Fashion Group and the style information website Style.com jointly launched a paper magazine with seasonal fashion content in the spring of that year. Dirk Standen, Style.com's editor-in-chief, believes that any media brand must rely on multiple media, and the publication of the magazine is an important way for its website content to be obtained on digital devices, social media, and more One 1]. After that, the brand parties represented by the new media website started to create, publish, and publish papers. "Politico, a U.S. political news site, launched a bi-monthly magazine, Pitchfork, a music review site, a quarterly magazine, and YouTube ’s AwesomenessTV channel. ", Etc.", so that printing stopped after the end of 2012, and only the electronic version of "Newsweek" was restarted in March 2014 . In order to grasp the current situation of new media publishing papers, this paper selects four types of representative cases for analysis, as shown in Table 1.
Among them, Facebook is the world's leading social networking site; Airbnb launched Pineapple, a quarterly magazine in 2014, which was suspended after only one issue, but in 2017 it cooperated with Hearst Group to launch a new quarterly magazine, Airbnbmag; Net-a-Porter from At the beginning of its establishment, it had a magazine-oriented positioning of the display form of e-commerce, and launched its own electronic magazine once a week; CNET is the largest and earliest technology website in the United States. It can be found that the content and positioning of the above four new media are very different, and the published papers are also very different: in terms of content, there are original content and website information, and the proportion of advertisements varies; in terms of the publishing cycle, there are quarterly and bimonthly magazines In terms of audience, there is an audience that is consistent with the new media, and there is a wider range of the general public; in terms of sales and distribution, there are free and paid, traditional order channels and website order channels, regional sales and global distribution; relations with new media There are interaction, support, and nurturing. However, through the complicated news and data, it is clear that the reasons for new media to choose the traditional paper form after using digital media technology will definitely not be as critical as the "digital brand in the digital world is passing." The traditional form will become Throw back Thursday (social media activities)  as simple as that.
Considerations for the purpose of new media publishing papers
New media publishing papers are by no means just for profit, or even not for profit at all, otherwise it will be difficult to explain Facebook's Grow magazine's ad-free content and free gifts, and Airbnb suspended Pineapple in 2014 due to budget reductions. Introducing Airbnbmag and other phenomena. It should be acknowledged that, like traditional media, new media also face issues such as fierce competition and market breakthroughs. In order to continually consolidate and expand the user's dependency and trust, launching content dissemination and increasing the driving force through diverse resource channels is an inevitable choice for new media “content marketing”. Of course, the publication of papers based on traditional media has become One of its initiatives. Specifically, new media publishes papers, including at least but not limited to the following purposes.
(I) Enriching Brand Positioning New media has transformed traditional media with a subversive attitude, but inevitably falls into the same choice as traditional media-brand positioning. Brand positioning is the overall plan for brand building, which aims to determine the development direction and basic scope of influence of the brand . The strategy of new media brand positioning includes not only the determination of brand information such as product growth, continuous satisfaction of user needs, mastery of core technologies, significant differences from competing products, and strong premium capabilities, but also more important brand information-communication . Whether it is one-way release communication, two-way interactive communication or purposeful communication, the carrier of brand information is very important. In the early stages of development, new media relied on the Internet's unique cross-space and time advantages to directly transmit brand information through instant image, audio, video and other elements, and guide users to identify and consume brands, achieving a competitive advantage over traditional media. To this day, new media has paid more attention to the fullness of brand image, the enhancement of brand heritage and the expansion of brand awareness. With the rapid development of technology, but the options are still limited, the similarity of the Internet carrier has forced it to focus its attention on the papers and enrich the brand positioning through media integration.
(2) The establishment, consolidation and promotion of new media brands for accurate marketing requires the support of effective brand marketing, which also follows STP markets such as segmentation, targeting, and positioning performed by traditional media. Marketing strategy . Among them, interactive marketing with unique advantages of new media can achieve direct communication between users and brands and achieve efficient communication purposes. It is the most commonly used marketing strategy. However, the diversification of information channels and the explosion of information stock make it difficult for brands to stand out from mass information. In order to seize the opportunity of brand communication, new media must segment the brand market, select target customers, formulate marketing plans, and carry out targeted marketing strategies based on marketing business indicators. As a result, single media brand communication cannot meet the needs of precise communication, and comprehensive integration of all media resources is the key to achieving accurate marketing. Paper has its unique audience, market and communication effects, which cannot be replaced by other media. Paper publication based on the brand's core value and product positioning helps to improve the brand's popularity, reputation and credibility, and form effective communication and precise marketing within a certain range.
(3) Enhance user stickiness The concept change from "audience" to "user" and the conceptual change from "loyalty" to "stickiness" have all revealed the change in the relationship between the media and users-from the active-passive model To equal interaction mode. Of course, in the new media environment, whether users are more active or more passive seems to be a topic that varies from person to person, but from the perspective of the new media, the user stickiness resulting from scarce attention has accumulated. It is always the only way to have a competitive advantage in the market. New media brands must continue to enhance user stickiness, not only relying on content, but also on "relationship and emotion, space and scene, connection and association" and many other factors. Carefully planned papers, including exquisite printed content, precise target groups, streamlined sales methods, precise distribution areas, etc., not only form an integral part of the new media brand, but also become an effective component of its precision marketing. Can be used as an important means to win potential users and consolidate existing users.
Rediscovering the Value of Three Papers
The "abnormal behavior" of new media publishing papers provides another way of thinking for existing academic research and practical attempts-from the perspective of new media, should papers be eliminated? Or, where is the future direction of paper publications? Facts have proved that paper journals have their own independent value, unique meaning to paper media, and unique advantages to new media. Clarifying the value of paper publications in the new media environment is an important inspiration for new media publishing paper publications. It helps to break away from the “self-help” of paper publications and examine it from the general pattern of media integration.
(I) Unique reading experience At present, the “paperless” change in the publishing industry has reduced the cost of cultural transmission and expanded the overall number of readers. The era of reading for all has arrived. The migration of a large number of users from traditional paper reading to digital reading has become an irreversible foregone conclusion, but at the same time, the situation of the dichotomy of paper reading and digital reading will persist for a long time, that is, paper publications are not due to the emergence and popularity of electronic publications. Perish. Reading is a complex cognitive activity. The understanding of paper reading should not and cannot be limited to the inconvenience of carrying or comparing with digital reading, the lack of instant access, the single or even lack of interactive means, and the high cost of reading. Based on the needs and product attributes, we see the unique functional, opportunistic, social, emotional, and early adopter values of the papers combined with content setting, target needs, and space-time context. In other words, under the Internet economic model, any reading experience is no longer one-way, single, and independent. It is full of "relationships" that are made up of user, product, and scene factors . Electronic publications are popular because they visualize and fit into these "relationships," and paper publications reflect these "relationships" and give users a unique reading experience.
Reengineering of Four Paper Publications
From the perspective of traditional media, when entering the new media field and trying to integrate media, re-examining the value of paper publications and innovating paper publications again will help its transformation and upgrading and content marketing. This requires the transformation of traditional papers, led by new media thinking, user needs-oriented, product functions as the core, and technical scenarios as the consideration, creating traditional media attributes, suitable for the new media era, and media integration marketing. Demand for new papers.
(1) Forms are more suitable for reading. When reading becomes a daily social activity rather than an authoritative serious study, the papers that it is attached to originally have the sacredness outside of daily life and the elitism above the general public gradually. disappear. Paper journals must be innovative in form, more suitable for individual reading behavior and social reading ecology, and allocate reading resources in a comprehensive, reasonable, and benign manner. For a long time, new media have taken advantage of the comprehensive presentation of their information, but the forced reading order generated by the carrier and the emotional focus of the information generated by the algorithm have reduced the user ’s reading experience, resulting in chaotic content, unclear guidance, Limited perspective. This is exactly what the seemingly disadvantaged papers can solve: the complete arrangement of the information is clearly presented through a modular arrangement to achieve a "clear and easy to read" effect, even if the user obtains the focus of the information published in the first time, and Can obtain information according to their own interests .
In creating a more suitable paper, basic work such as layout design should be based on user segmentation and channel delivery as a supplement. The innovation of paper publications should be based on the premise of respecting the user's reading experience and satisfying users 'reading choices, and accurately segment the crowd, so as to adjust the reading form and reading arrangement, etc., to stimulate different users' reading interests and satisfy different objects. Reading needs prompted them to actively choose paper reading. At the same time, in the distribution of papers, it is also necessary to "adhere to the" customer first, differential communication ", and respect the audience's experience of fast reading, intensive reading, and convenient reading" . The user's reading experience is not only related to the content of the publication, but also to factors such as personal habits, academic background, industry, and environment. In order to improve the effectiveness of dissemination, paper publications should adjust the distribution area and distribution pattern in combination with the above factors, such as delimiting the publication area based on the content and brand nature of the paper publication, increasing the exposure of the paper publication, and facilitating user reading; focusing on effective distribution areas, Price control regional circulation, indirectly adjusting reader structure and dissemination effect .
(2) More selective information in content. Internet thinking is user-oriented thinking, and user attention-user stickiness is the development power and competitive capital of various media. Paper media must be based on the social relationships created by Internet technology and oriented by user needs to reconstruct its relationship with users. In this way, in the early days of the traditional media era of "content is king" and the new media era of "channel is hegemony", today's papers must return to content and be innovative. Papers should be based on user needs to modify the form and performance of content products, so that the information provided is more personalized, more distinctive, and more attractive to users for a long time, from "content is king" to "king Contents ".
How to carry out content innovation and how to provide "king content" to users is another matter of opinion. From the perspective of the editorial department, it may be necessary to reposition core resources, rebuild production processes, rebuild the editing team, etc .; from the perspective of users, it may be necessary for papers to have differentiated and innovative content and to adapt to the new media era. This article only proposes the following from the perspective of the content presentation of papers: one is to make different versions according to different needs, such as scientific research and technology popularization, academic information and theoretical research, etc .; the other is to provide different information according to different purposes. For example, to understand the main content in an abstract overview mode, to read in depth in a full-text presentation, to assist data statistics with citation annotations, and so on. In addition, in practice, special attention should be paid to the selection of paper content: First, the content must be selected based on user needs, and the most suitable content should be provided to the most needed users at the most appropriate time; second, technology can be adopted. Assistance, such as AR technology, printed QR code, etc. to achieve enhanced rendering effects, but the layout must be properly arranged (the layout design of printed graphics and code scanning graphics) and content distribution (the complement of printed page content and digital platform content) .
(3) More adaptable needs in the scene At present, mobile devices, social media, big data, sensors and positioning systems are everywhere . The integration of the five technical forces and their interactions has enabled the collection, processing, and analysis of scene element information such as space, time, people, actions, and social relations , and the user's information services have thus been transformed into scene-based scenarios. Services, that is, scene perception and information adaptation . On the one hand, paper publication should be scene-oriented. Looking at the development of the publishing industry in recent years, it is the process from user unknowns to overall acquisition to potential tapping. The acquisition of user needs, in addition to the passive or active provision of users, is now more dependent on the original technical operation of the scene around the user, based on details and focused on experience. Paper publication should also be scene-oriented, pay attention to the personalized needs brought by scene differentiation and match it to achieve a deep blend of paper, users and scenes. On the other hand, paper publication should be structured according to the scene. The scene includes many elements, such as specific time and space, real-time status, social habits, social atmosphere, and so on. Changes in any of these elements will affect the composition of the scene and user needs. Paper publication must always grasp the various variables of the user's scene, collect data to mine and continuously modify and supplement user needs, and customize personalized services accordingly. The key to sophisticated personal service is accurate demand forecasting. This requires that the attention of the user must be continuous, that is, the connection and cross between this time and then, here and there, this person and others. Only by using the scene technology to summarize the past and analyze the present can we predict its future development trajectory, and then provide effective guidance for paper publication.
The publisher of the future will be a multimedia information publisher, that is, it will provide users in specific scenarios with multiple forms, content, and carriers that are integrated and appropriate multimedia information to enhance the reading and experience. Paper magazines will not only play the role of providing information services independently to meet the unique reading needs of users, but also cooperate with other digital publications to achieve full media, scenes, user harmony, and help new interactive experiences.
Disclaimer: This website is a non-profit website. Most of the information comes from the recommendations of netizens. If the author or other copyright owner believes your rights are violated, please let us know and we will remove them within 24 hours.